Saturday, August 25, 2007

Red Beans & Rice

Ingredients:

1 can red beans (rinsed, drained)
1 cup chopped ham (approx. 8 oz.)
2 cups chopped smoked sausage (approx. 1 16 oz. pkg.)
3 tbsp. dried onions
2 tbsp. celery flakes
1 clove chopped garlic or equiv. of garlic juice
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper
pinch of cayenne (red) pepper
pinch of creole seasoning
dash of salt (optional)

Put in crock pot with enough water to come just below the top of the mixture. Mix well with large spoon. Let cook in crock pot for approx. 5-6 hours. When red bean mixture is done, cook rice as directed on box and serve. (Reheats well)

2 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

This sounds good, Mandalyn! I haven't made red beans and rice in years. The recipe I got from a childhood friend is a favorite, but it has 3 kinds of sausage/meat in it and it's a little on the fattening side! It's not done in the crockpot either, which I really like about this one.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, it sounds awesome! :)

Robin Green said...

If I can find a smoked sausage without msg, I will try this one. Sounds wonderful to me.